My Latest in the June 2023 issue Wine Business Monthly Magazine:
Natural Alternatives to Sulfur
by L.M. Archer
My latest article in the June issue of Wine Business Monthly Magazine explores natural alternatives to sulfur.
The ancient Romans used it, and modern “natural” winemakers revile it. But for most winemakers, sulfur serves as a reliable antimicrobial and antioxidant during fermentation. However, growing consumer demand for sulfite-free wines led some winemakers to employ naturally derived, non-sulfur options. Others simply strive to craft wines with less additives. By whichever method used, all hope to enhance transparency and better express terroir. READ MORE HERE (Subscription required).
Many thanks to the wine industry professionals who helped contribute to this story, including:
- Eglantine Chauffour, director of enology at Bucher Vaslin North America (BVNA) and product manager for Lamothe Abiet.
- Kiley Evans, winemaker at Padigan Wines (formerly 2Hawk Vineyard) – Medford, OR.
- Erica Crawford, winemaker at Loveblock Wine – Marlborough, New Zealand
- Savio Soares, Savio Soares Selections, NYC | Fernando Paiva, N. Portugal
- Tina Morey, sommelier, Crystal Palate Wine and Gourmet
I’m pleased to share my latest article on natural sulfur alternatives, now available in the June issue of Wine Business Monthly.